93x64mm
(.416 member)
03/03/21 10:57 PM
Re: Talk to me about Paper Patch

Quote:

Quote:

The book will show "how" with pictures and text.
Not sure what you mean by "printing".

Daryl,
Roscoe/Curls essay describes using his printer to make what I'd call "guide lines" on the patching paper.
Not something I find helpful, but some might like it.
- Mike

Mike hits the nail on the head here. Once your initial 'template' is made ( I used Cap Curl's method to measure & derive patch size etc) I transposed those measurements onto my paper which happen to be A4 lined note paper, From memory I had 20 or so lines with 2 patches per line, so ended up approximately 40 + patches per page.
This I scanned into my computer. You can then print out as many templates as you wish, them all being exactly the same. You can cut up using a guillotine or just a box cutter/scissors etc.
It is a slow process, but I would suggest a micrometer to measure your paper thickness. There is a lot of debate as to what size should your overall patched projectile size should be, I'm shooting in a new rifled styled barrel so I'm patching to groove diameter, my projectile (soft or near pure lead) is just at bore diameter. Even if you are under groove diameter & using BP, the bullet will obturate up to size at the point of firing. This basic idea may vary with rifling types, as some of the old 'invisible' rifling doesn't like PP bullets at all, it is a lot of trial & error - but bloody good fun!
I also PP for a Martini Henry 577-450 & it has a tapering bore to complicate matters further!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com