DarylS
(.700 member)
07/09/20 05:45 AM
Re: How important is a metplat on cast bullets for hunting

450 - IF they shoot accurately, I would use them.
Too, a .275" meplat is not that terribly small to be ineffective and does help the BC considerably, compared to the larger, .390".
That said, the .30/30 and .35 Remington Flat noses have considerably harder SLAP than-do the same weight pointed soft noses,
even at a couple hundred fps higher speeds. Their meplats are very small, in comparison, yet are still effective.
With a non-expanding bullet of course, the larger meplat the better.

I just did a search and found this - quite interesting.
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/The+Effects+Of+The+Meplat+On+Terminal+Ballistics.html

"As most will guess, the shape of the meplat (tip) has a great effect on external ballistics (how the projectile flies through the air). The shape can also have an effect on terminal ballistics and performance with regard to projectile energy transfer on game, projectile expansion and stress to the projectile during this rapid change in medium. Put simply, a wide flat meplat projectile has far greater potential to transfer its energy immediately upon impact than a sleek pointed projectile when bullet construction of both designs is equal."

In thinking this over, I recall a slightly louder SLAP of a blunt (round nosed) bullet striking moose, than the more pointed soft point spitzers - same and different calibres as well. Of course, that is subjective to conditions, but the 'feeling' of larger/heavier (being noticeable) impact sound, was there.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com