DarylS
(.700 member)
02/08/15 01:34 AM
Re: Recommended cast bullet for the .45 Colt revolver/rifle?

Homer - I used a .45 cal 300gr. RCBS mould for my .45 Colt Model 94 Trapper. The front cavity, I converted to a HP design which cast a 300gr. Hp for me, the back cavity a 320gr. - when using WW alloy.

I usually water-dropped them into a bucket of water from the mould, passing through a slit towel across the top of the bucket. I cast a quite a high temp so they'd harder more after hitting the water. If let sit for 24 hours after heat treating, they will harden up to about 34 Brinel (oven soak). With the water drop, their temperature had dropped enough that they don't harden quite as much, thus end up varying some, like from 26 to 32 Brinel depending on their temp when they hit the water.

After the casting session, I'd take them out, dry them off and quickly lube/sized them to .452". This prevented the sizing operation from softening the bullets which will happen if you let them sit too long after casting. If not sized right away, any sizing of the bullets will re-soften them and they will not harden.

After 12 hours of sitting they will attain full hardness of about 26 to 32, which seemed to work well for me.

I shot 2 elk with the 300gr. HP's - wonderful performance - both bullets exited - Bull Calf and a nice dry cow - shot on special licence.

I used Ross Seyfreid's .45 Colt at .44 mag pressure loads using W296 powder. The Winchester's 16" bl. recorded 1,584fps with that load and bullets, which duplicated the Original Winchester .45/90 BP 300gr. factory load.

Later, I had worked with W680 powder, which is no longer available, unfortunately. At the same pressure, I was able to up the velocity safely, to almost .45 BPE speeds. I achieved 1,740fps with those bullets. Hodgdon was selling the same powder as H116 for a while. (the last 3 tons made by Winchester) None of THAT powder made it to Canada, that I know of.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com