CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
21/11/12 01:48 AM
Re: Paper Patched Cast Bullets

Quote:

So- Curl, I have a couple of questions. I have a 318 dia double, bullets are not easy nor cheap, so thinking of patching these. .308 up to .318 or .320 should be fairly easy, and thinking of jacketed as starters. I read to roll them on a file for adhesion, and have tried this with success. Can I use the powder charges I am using with copper? Is there an issue with the bullet in the unfired chamber of a double, in this caliber, backing out due to having to be so careful with seating- a lack of neck tension?

I understand Ross Seyfried did an article on this very subject a while back, with success, but can't locate either the article or Ross.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Doug,

Sorry, but I have no experience using paper patched bullets in a rifle such as you describe.

I would first want to know the bore diameter so I could choose a bullet very near that size. I would be inclined toward a lead bullet, either swaged or cast, sized to bore diameter and in a weight matching your regulation weight bullet. Then patch to groove diameter using appropriate paper.

Now the experiments start. Will the chosen combination achieve regulation? This is going to be an exercise similar to "normal" double rifle regulation.

Have you chosen the proper paper? I usually start with thin paper and work toward thicker papers until my fired patch fragments show good bore seal without burn.

I doubt you will hit the magic combination on the first try, but I think it can be done.

Are you shooting an 8x57JR? I'm guessing from your stated bullet diameter. I must say in a modern bottle neck cartridge I would be somewhat worried about the end of the bullet protruding into the main body of the case. The paper on that end is going to be exposed to a lot of fire and stresses. I like looooooong neck cartridges for paper!

Sorry for the late reply. I've not opened the Cast Bullets forum recently. I'll do better, I promise!

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com