Oldbrit
(.333 member)
10/08/12 07:52 PM
Re: Chain Wax for Bullet Lube?

I did a further test of the Wurth spray chain lubricant yesterday.

I loaded 50 rounds of 45 Colt with 8.6 grs of Universal Clays and the Lyman 250 gr SWC. The bullet alloy is approximately 95% lead, 5.5% tin and 0.5% antimony. Using Lee 50/50 beeswax, alox lubricant in a lubrisizer, leading is effectively zero in my Trapper carbine.

I sized the bullets to .451”, sprayed them with the chain spray and gave them a good thick coating. On reflection I think this was a mistake as it took three days to feel dry enough to load. Two thin coats would probably have been better.

I cleaned the barrel and then fired two targets of ten rounds each to establish a benchmark for accuracy and this was in line with my normal expectations. I then fired twenty rounds quickly just knocking things around on the stop butts until the barrel was really quite hot and then shot another 10 round slow fire target.

The final target was as good as the first ones and a patch through the barrel revealed powder fouling and a few traces of lead but no more than I would have found from my conventionally lubricated bullets.

I conclude that this chain wax works as well as anything else at these sorts of velocities, it’s cleaner and easier to use than the Lee Liquid Alox and it just plain looks better. The stuff I’m using just leaves a silver sheen on the bullets. I’ve tested this on the 45 Colt bullets simply because I had some cast and waiting to be lubed but I’m now quite confident about using this stuff on my rook rifle bullets. I’ll try it on bullets for my 303 and/or my 375 the next time I cast some.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com