Oldbrit
(.333 member)
01/08/12 03:17 AM
Re: Chain Wax for Bullet Lube?

I bought a can of the Wurth dry chain lubricant from Amazon (see above) and I’ve been spraying bullets.

I happen to have a supply of Lyman 452424 Keith SWC bullets which I intend to shoot in my 45 Colt Trapper. I’ve sprayed them sized (.451”) and unsized (.453”) and sized after spraying. So far I’ve noticed the following:

• A light spray goes on evenly and is transparent. A can of the spray would seem to do for a lot of bullets. There’s a warning on the can that it must be shaken vigorously before use.

• The spray takes a full 24 hours to dry hard, after only twelve hours it can easily be rubbed off but once hard appears to be at least as durable as the Lee Liquid Alox and not sticky at all. The instructions on the can say that before spraying on a chain, the bike should be run first so the chain is warm. I suspect that warming the bullets (say with a fan heater) prior to spraying would speed up the drying process. I’ll experiment with this.

• To a casual glance the bullets look unchanged once dry and it’s only when you pick them up that you can feel the light waxy coating. The bullets that I sprayed before sizing, sized very easily and seemed to retain a wax film on the bullet.

I should be able to try shooting some of these bullets on Thursday and I’ll report back. They’ll only be loaded to about 1,000 f.p.s. If this proves to be successful I’ll try them on .375” cast rifle bullets which I load to 1,950 f.p.s.

Watch this space!!!

Huvius… how have you got on?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com