NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
06/12/23 03:18 PM
Re: The Puma White Hunter

Quote:

Quote:

I think with this North Thai, Northern Burma, hill tribe knife, the large kukri styled knife is a fighting knife.

John:
While the Thai/Burmese hill-tribe "Midh" may well be pressed into service as a fighting knife if required, it is carried as a general purpose knife for everything from sharpening sticks to digging out a splinter, and all the meat-cutting, lime-peeling, chilli-chopping tasks in-between. My oozee even used one extensively for banging on the head of the elephant to make him "behave" on a trip in the mountains a few hours west of Taungoo.
I would love to have acquired a well-used one from Burma, but knowing how much a favorite knife can mean to a tribesman, I didn't have the heart to ask!
Ended up getting a really nice one off a wizened old lady street-vendor in northern Laos a couple of years later. Photos one day ! ....

Please do. Dud you go to Burma as well as Thailand and Laos? Please show some photos and stories one day soon ... This Christmas please!

My wife is dragging me to Argentina and a bit of Chile next year. I'm looking forward to it.

But we had planned to go Burma a few years ago. That was cancelled, we ended up in wonderful Romania instead.

Was watching a Landrover expedition across Burma, Singapore to London, this week, and reignited interest in Burma. The Northern and Hill Tribe regions of Burma are still in civil war, the Karen's for some 60 plus years, so remain out of bounds.

But I'd also like to read and sed your adventures in Northern Thailand. I've been in Northern Thailand but not Laos.

So that is what this sort of knife is called, a "Midh". Mine has solid buffalo horn grips. I repost the rest of the photos.

I also bought mine from a wizened wrinkled midget women who told me "You are a very beautiful man." I think I was one a good thing with this crone!

Real men in the real world wear a knife. For all those tasks you mention. Ridiculous when a pocket knife like once carried by every school boy is now a national crime. In the pansifyed West now we're encouraged instead to carry manbags filled with man lipstick, and moisturising face creams, panty wipes etc ....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com