Ripp
(.577 member)
11/09/17 11:32 PM
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT

Quote:

Nasty - one (or is it 2) more reason I do not hunt with a bow any more. The threat of bear attack when armed with only 2 sticks and a string and secondly, that when you need it as a last resort in a charge, the bear spray might not work.

Not to take away from this story, but 2 friends of mine, on their last bow hunt near Hudson's Hope, B.C. called in 5 grizzlies with the elk bugle. I'm sure 3 of them were 2 year old cubs with their moms, but just the same. In bear family attacks, they all get involved. The mother bears winded the boys & maybe didn't like the smell. All 5 ran off.

Actually had a blackie come in last year to a cow call...first time that has happened..another few yards I would have had a good shot with the bow...hoping he is still around this year..headed up there next weekend..

Agree with the 12 gauge slug as the best when you have the room to carry..when I am backpacking usually have my S&W titanium in 44mag..loaded with 300 or more solid cast core bullets...

Remember reading a survey a few years back about attacks in Alaska..surprised me with the results in that the .357Mag was the most common used in bear defense..while I feel its a great round..think for a brownie or griz I'd rather have a 44..IMHO..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com