DarylS
(.700 member)
09/09/17 03:40 AM
Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right?

Yes - there is always room for being misquoted, especially when it's deemed to be newsworthy.

Fellow just West of here, number of years ago was attacked, unprovoked as he didn't know he was walking past a bear on a gut pile, up, just above the trail. He was attacked by the young sow grizzly, maybe roughly 400pounds.

When he was hit, jumped on from above, his rifle sling broke and the rifle went flying away out of reach. He managed to get out his belt knife, which had a 4 1/2" blade and managed to kill her with that.

The fellow, from Vanderhoof, managed to cut the bear's carotid arteries and jugular veins. He did not even know she'd ripped his legs so badly, thinking she was only working on his pack & head trying to get at his neck.

He needed over 400 stitches to close his wounds.

Gary Shelton, bear expert and Bare Aware Course Teacher, noted that if packing a knife for protection against grizzlies, that a slim(ish) 10" blade was about minimum. A 12 bore with GOOD slugs is preferred.

A Japanese Tanto is a good design. I showed mine to Gary, who said "That will work as long as you can stick him with it & work it around".

At that time, I was working in the bush for the Ministry of Forests. I also packed my 12 bore.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tanto+Jap...yhG2_I9tlB1mnM:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com