Ripp
(.577 member)
08/03/15 03:11 PM
Re: Help and advice

Interesting thoughts and discussion. I have a neighbor who saw me out in my yard shooting in the summer and fall getting practiced up for hunting season. She had never shot a bow before in her life. She is around age 50..took her up to one of the local archery shops..she bought a new compound along with sights, release..the entire package..she now shoots league at the local shop on Wednesday nights consistently hitting targets in the bull from 20-40 yards..and sometimes in the 50 plus yards..

Personally I find starting out someone new who has never shot before, it is much simpler to start with a compound than a recurve or long bow. What I personally feel is one of the main keys to archery shooting is to be consistent on everything..how far back you pull the arrow, where you put your hand on your face, neck or cheek..making sure you don't cant your wrist one way or the other with the arm holding the bow, etc. The anchor points you come to generally are much more consistent and reliable for a beginner, at least for me it was that way. Your sights are there to lock on to your target. Not so much with recurve, at least from a beginners perspective. Also, todays bows have up to 80% let off..so you are only holding 12# when on a pulled back 60# bow..much less fatigue which also allow you to practice longer.. IMHO...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com