Ripp
(.577 member)
30/09/14 10:56 PM
Re: back up pistol for bears

Quote:

I've been a bowhunter for over 50+ years and although I do carry a 1911 45 super, I believe a hand gun in big bear country is an ego booster more than anything. In a close quarter attack most people would not have enough time to draw and shoot let alone hit anything, and I carry a 1911 daily and shoot all the time. Bears are quick and incounters usually happen in close quarters. I too think a large metplate has better stopping power than pointed bullets and carry a 230 gr flat point bullets loaded by "Buffalo Bore" that are fantastic, but sure hope I never have to use them on a big bear at any time.
Bob

+1
Agree 100% with the above..have numerous friends who have had close encounters with griz..said at 50 yards..they didn't even have time to clear leather by the time he was on them...but still can be drawn in the scuffle and fired..or you can play dead..your choice..

I have been bluffed charged several times by blacks..the move really really fast..had a wounded black come at me once..shot by my step-son..he was NOT a happy camper..same thing..amazed how fast he covered ground..luckily I had a 280AI rifle in my hands to stop him..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com