9.3x57
(.450 member)
15/02/10 03:17 AM
Re: back up pistol for bears

Quote:

Once shot a black bear with my .45 Auto - 'double tap' to the noggin at 10' did the job well, using 230FMJ's -

Your good shooting saved you a heap of trouble.

My stock shooting experience on skittish meat sheep with .45 ACP, .38 Special, 9x19, 7.62x25, .357 SIG using FMJ's indicates little reaction to body shots and lots of time for running and such after the shot regardless of caliber.

Most recently we did some more with FMJ's and 7.62x25 and 9x19, and both calibers showed almost identical {and expected} results to .45 ACP; in one 125 lb sheep, over 6 minutes of normal activity {running around} before it could be caught up with and head shot, another 3 minutes, ditto. These were side shots right behind the shoulder.

One shot with 7.62x25 and Wolf 86 grain Hollow Point jogged about 20 feet and dropped at 8 seconds, dead.

All shots, FMJ and HP exited. This is the difference between these faster rounds and the .45 ACP, where that round has commonly stayed inside the animal even on 125 lb sheep, using FMJ's.

My experience over the years indicates essentially no difference between any of the abovementioned calibers when FMJ's are used.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com