9.3x57
(.450 member)
02/11/09 07:36 AM
Re: back up pistol for bears

Quote:

Quote:

If you really need to stop something with claws and that bites, and if time limits precise shooting, go for a S&W 500 w/4" bbl. I've used mine a couple of times to stop animals with bad intentions, and, no, no handgun will drop an animal in its tracks, unless brain shot. However, a 500-gr. bullet will make them pause and give you time for a well-aimed second shot.

if more info needed, pm me.

Have actually been looking off and on at the S&W 5" in 460 --think that too would be an awesome all around round..

Ripp

OK, please give us an assessment.

Can you handle the the recoil of the gun one-handed w/ both strong and weak hand? A friend of mine has a .500 and I've handled it but I haven't shot it so I don't really know. For me, a handgun has utility if I can shoot it reasonably well even with my weak hand. Otherwise I'd carry a light rifle.

Anyway, I'm curious about these guns. A bit heavy weight for the belt for me, but curious nonetheless. Granted, the cartridge can be loaded down, but if it is loaded down too much, a lighter, six-shot .44 like my S&W 29-9 Heritage would be preferable.

Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com