David_P
(.224 member)
09/02/09 04:54 AM
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow

Aluminum Arrows are fast becomming traditional as carbon has been taking over. Aluminum were really a PITA as they were cold to handle when snow was on the ground and had a distincive sound when hit against something in the woods. I use cedar while I can get it and have a lot on hand. I have shot deer with traditional bows and would give this advice. Nothing matters so much as the broadhead. Everything else is a means to get it there. The Zwickeys two blades are excellent. Fred Bears classic with the razor insert is a little soft in its screw in version but is deadly on deer. The Wenzel Woodsman 3 blade also is good on deer. On bigger game use a 2 blade. Some like the Grizzly two blades for big stuff as they do not bend. Zwickeys sharpen best with a coarser file and can be touched up with a diamond sharpener. The others can be honed. As to bow weight, pull what you can shoot accurately. It has often been said that a 55 pound recurve will kill anything in North America. Howard Hill stated that a 40 pound bow and a 450 grain arrow will handle anything up to moose. I shoot about a 50 pound bow because I messed up one elbow shooting too heavy. Its the broadhead that kills anyway. You do not need complete pass through. One of the deadliest wounds I saw was from a Bear razor head that bounced back from the far rib out of a 45 pound recurve. It kept cutting while the deer kept moving.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com