rscott
(.333 member)
29/08/08 01:31 PM
Re: Bowhunting Elephant?

Quote:

Africans have been hunting elephants for centuries before guns were invented, however, the African meat hunter doesn't always care how long the animal takes to die. There's no question about how effective modern bows are in the right hands. Nevertheless, it's still a heart/lung shoot and although it may be quick, it is not instant. Its a question of individual ethics and everyone has different ethical interpretations, but the least traumatic method for both quarry and other group members is the brain shot. Its like fishing for dolphin (not mahi mahi) - everyone knows its possible, but how many would?

Jabali,
not being critical but you seem to be implying the only ethical killing shot on an elephant is the brain shot.
are we not then saying elephant deserve more respect than say buffalo, lion, elk, red stag, etc., etc? shouldn't we then be shooting everything we hunt in the brain?
i've seen several brain shots missed, including one of my own, but a quick follow up through the heart of the fleeing beast finished it. it doesn't allways end that way though.
i imagine we've all seen video footage of hunters missing brain shots and wounding elephant, even professionals.
for the majority of hunters, who get maybe one crack at an elephant in their life time, armed with either bows or rifles, the heart/lung shot is the most responsible, surest and therefore most ethical.
my 2 cents

Contact Us NitroExpress.com