9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/08/08 09:55 AM
Re: Bowhunting Elephant?

Quote:

Statistially speaking, however, most elephant shot with a bow are actually killed with the PH's rifle.

For tens of thousands of years the bow and spear were the only weapons used. Now that we have guns, I tend to agree with Bramble for the most part though my curiousity gets the best of me I have to admit, so I wonder just how effective the arrow is on an elephant because, to be truthful, I do not know.

I once watched a documentary of pygmies spearing elephant. It was done completely differently than I suspected. No standing back and pitching the lance at all. The diminutive fellows waited along a trail in thick bush, actually, jungle, and when pachy strolled by shoved a thrusting spear up and in.

After contact, all hell broke loose as you can imagine. The critter humped up and ran hard but the shorties kept on his trail and eventually found him, dead. What percentage were wounded and lost I have no idea.

Somewhat interesting was the fact that there was never a big burly fellow standing anywhere near by with anything that goes "Boom"...

Quite seriously, I wonder what the actual percentage of gun-hunted elephant die with a bullet from the pro in them?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com