9.3x57
(.450 member)
11/12/07 01:10 PM
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT??

Quote:

The magnum 410 000 buck (approx 36 CALIBER) have a muzzle velocity of about 1150 fps... that is hotter or as hot as many handgun loads. Sure, some handgun loads are hotter but the 1150-1200 fps coming from a 410 double barrel shotgun is formidible and potentially very deadly.

OK, this one has my curiousity...

I have to find some of the .410 000 {tough to find locally} and test it in my boards and jugs. The sectional density of a .36 cal pellet ain't much and I personally wouldn't shoot a cougar at anything past 25 yards with "buckshit" and frankly, I don't know anybody locally that would even shoot them at all with buckshot, but part of that is a general disdain for buckshot here in Idaho.

I live in cougar country and am out at night on the ranch for various reasons and have just about zero concern for them. But I suppose there are some bad ones. A friend of mine shot one in the chest with his .357 about 3 years ago. He's a realtor and was looking over some land in deep snow and one leapt off a cutbank behind just him and when he turned it was squared off facing him. What were its intentions? I have no idea. I had one jump off a rock ledge about 15 yards in front of me a few years ago while I was grouse hunting and it hit the ground running and kept going fast. Didn't want any part of me. What, does he smell better than me?

Anyway, a few rounds of that piddly .410 load sent thru the test media might be informative!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com