9.3x57
(.450 member)
29/11/07 12:54 AM
Re: WHO uses BUCKSHOT??

Quote:

In my experience, hard buckshot, especially copper plated shot, packed in buffering material usually shoots the best patterns.
Take care, Tom

If I had to close my eyes and grab a box of buckshot and go hunting {which I don't do! } I would probably lean the direction of plated, buffered shot also. Having said that, it is not always the case that non-buffered, unplated shot performas less well. In fact, I found the opposite to be the case with a load or two when I shot my test. I don't have a working scanner anymore or I'd scan and post the findings. The best thing is to select several loads and pattern test the shot before using it. Just like different loads produce different levels of accuracy in rifles {and print different POI} so too do different loads pattern better or worse in different shotguns.

LG or 000 buckshot pellets do in fact often penetrate better than anything else and this can be tested in a variety of media. And I have found some very decent performance of even the 8 pellet load for patterning over the years. Doesn't extend the range, but does sometimes pattern as well as others and with the added penetration might be the answer for some guns that shoot it well.

By the way, Tatume, I have met your "100 Yard Buckshot Shooter" several times over the years. Interesting fellow. I think his brother is "700 Yard Deer Shooter"...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com