Double_Trouble
(.375 member)
20/04/07 04:17 AM
Re: Last Pheasant hunt of the Season 4/7/07

Peter:
I did not take it as picking on us at all, no worries there.
I just explained it a little more as I know that a lot of people arent familiar with this style of hunt.

We typically pay $20.00 Canadian/bird and as Foxfire says hens and cocks are fair game, we also sprinkle in some chukars as well as a ribbon bird or two for betting on (as described above).

There just arent enough wild pheasant in this region anymore to justify going and looking for wild bird in fact, the season here wher I live is three days with 3 bird limit.... so we either have to drive 10 or 12 hrs to the heartland of the U.S. or hunt the preserve farms.

We do have one place here called Pelee Island (the southern most part of Canada) where they have 3 weekend regulated hunts whereby the province releases thousands of pen raised birds for each of the weekends and a given number of hunters are allowed to hunt them by conventional means but these birds are not very good fliers as they have been raised in close quarter pens and would rather run than take wing for the most part.

I went on one of these weekends once and I wont go back again .... I was hit with shot twice in one day, one of them was spray and no big deal but the second time had some stingers in them and I was lucky I was wearing shooting glasses....too many numbskulls in one small place for my liking!

DT

Contact Us NitroExpress.com