mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
03/01/07 02:20 PM
Suggestions requested - what gun to buy

Friends,

I haven't bought a gun in some time and the cold turkey is killing me. I have been window shopping and have seen some guns that I like. I would be grateful for suggestions on what to buy out of this list:

Choice no 1. Renato Gamba Ambassador Executive sidelock SxS ANIB gun, 12 bore 2 3/4" with original case and everything. The owner is asking for a price that suggests that he is giving it away - this is a private sale, not from a shop

Choice no 2. The same owner has two Browning Superposeds made in the 1950s, one with a Prince of Wales style grip and the other with a straight one, both 12 2 3/4" guns, the two guns come for the price of the Gamba. They have been used but lovingly cared for and would rate as almost unused

Choice No 3. Two separate Browning A-5s, both Belgian made 3" guns NIB, one with three barrels, one fixed choke 30" for waterfowling, a 28" with interchangeable chikes and a third rifled barrel with a V notch sight. The second Browning with a different dealer is also a Belgian 3" but two barrel set without the slug barrel, also NIB. I am told that Belgian 3" A-5s are rare and the two guns and transfer prices put together would be less than the Gamba or the two Superposeds

My problem:

I have hunted for many years with a Savage-Stevens 12 bore, yes, not a fine gun, but then it worked beautifully and India does not allow imports of guns anyway. These days I have my A-5 which I shoot well with - my trap scores are an average of 18 or 19 x 25 and I really love. She is an oldtimer, a 1956 in very nice shape, and I have posted pictures of her here before.

Or, should I go back to a side by side since I have a nice autoloader and the Gamba is a really nice gun, or should I stick to what I am very comfortable these days and buy two more A-5s? Since the A-5s are no longer made, it might be a last chance of sorts in finding NIB guns of this type. I also have only a 2 3/4" and two new 3" guns would be nice.

And then the third choice - should I try something that I have not done before? Buy two U/O guns in nice shape and at a tiny fraction of the price of new Superposeds/B-25s or whatever they are called these days?

I am really confused and would appreciate all suggestions and advice on this matter. I shall also happily mix cocktails for whoever gives suggestions when they visit Chicago.

Good hunting, everyone!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com