Yogi000
(.333 member)
03/11/06 06:51 AM
Re: Shotgun Slugs (...again!)

Other people who type the word boolit may have the ebonics thing going on for them... (ha) That I do not know. I like it though.

I'm re-encouraged by the pro-sphere (pro ball) approach to addressing the question of what to use in a smooth bore.

I admit for some months I had been working with the currently popular DG slug design offered by several companies... (reminds me of an old small toy metal casting): The sort of pointy, very crude looking things with plastic carriage attached to the rear OR with the Brenneke design. (Better, but, it reminds me more of a gear than a slug / boolit).

There is something utterly refined and downright sensable with a perfectly round ball. Plus, I heard they don't keyhole.... hahahahaaaaaaa

Anyway, since I can't find any really hard .715 or .720 lead balls to buy already made up, I guess I need to get me a mold and make them myself. And will search to find some solid tungsten carbides and or coppers. This round of searches should be entertaining if not throughly interesting...

That penetration testing in a 45 gallon drum is very illuminating. I would expect clean pass throughs at 50 yards. Not getting that would certainly concern a hunter of any game that can bite back. Getting the clean pass throughs with the hardened lead balls even with lower powder charges is mighty gratifying.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com