DoubleD
(.400 member)
06/03/23 12:34 AM
Re: Greener Police Gun - take down

The Greener Shotgun split action referenced are the large Greener EG /GP style actions. They are big, heavy and ugly, like a pig, caliber irrelevant. Can't say I have ever seen one in .22lr or .310 Cadet. But that simply means I haven't seen one. I have several of these and have had others in this larger action and all have been ugly as pigs.

Now the standard size action like those of a size like the British Military Martini, these can be built into a very nice looking gun. Many a fine looking sporting rifle have been built on this size action. Three basic shapes are common. The standard slope back, the Mk IV cutdown back and the Francotte pattern round notch back style. Sporterizing of the military guns results in some very nice looking guns, any any number of chamberings. The commercial patterns built from scratch as dedicated sporting rifles are the most attractive. The Francotte style the nicest. A number of these military Martini's were converted to .22 LR for a target shooting movement in UK. Pigs in this group exist due to inapt "basement gun butchery"

Several years ago I acquired a MK IV style sporting rifle. It is the only one I have seen. It does not appear to be a sporterized military gun. Some of the internals have military inspection marks as was common in the times. But the action bears a commercial mark.

Then there is thesmall Martini action, often referred to as the Cadet. Mostly in Francotte pattern and a mainstay of BSA. Others also built on this Francotte Martini action-Westley Richard for example. Primary calibers .22 and .310. But others also. Most notable in the Cadet full stock version. But also very popular as a target rifle, and made as a sporting rifle. The cadet version is very often sporterized, sometime well done but also often butchered. There also are miniature Martini Henry actions version. I have never been able to get my hand on one of these.

Daryl I would guess yours is a Small Francotte action, not a Greener Shotgun action.

I shoot my 577 2-3/4 Greenr and I am glad it is a big heavy pig. I like this gun. I tried to build it glamorous, but a pig in lipstick is still a pig.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com