Marrakai
(.416 member)
10/11/22 09:56 AM
Re: The .410 Shotgun: Everything You Need to Know

My youngest daughter bagged a magpie goose on the wing with a CBC .410 I had cut down to fit her at age 12.
Her "job" at that time was to tidy up the occasional "walking wounded" by putting a pattern of lead fours on the head and neck, a responsibility that taught careful assessment of the surrounding area for possible other hunters, good timing, and accurate pattern placement.
On that particular day, we were standing in tall bull-rushes and the birds were flying low and slow directly over us, fighting a headwind. I allowed her a shot, with instruction on swinging the muzzle through the bird from behind, and getting at least a gun-length in front before firing, on the contention that a miss in front was preferably to a late body strike with fours.
The bird threw its head back and divotted-in breast-first right at our feet!

Proud dad moment!

Not long after that, minimum calibre rules prohibited the .410 for waterfowl in the NT, something the mandating of steel shot a couple of years later would have accomplished just as surely. By this time my girl had graduated to the 12-bore anyway!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com