Conor_90
(.224 member)
05/11/22 02:19 PM
German Side by Sides and Slugs

Recently watched a video on German side by sides from before the wars. It suggested that the actions were overbuilt (dolls head bites and some other stuff I can’t remember) in order to accommodate slug hunting. The pistol grips, cheek pieces and ribs were apparently also for this “dual purpose” role. I know in this time period and earlier on in Saarland my grandfather hunted all game with a side by side and shot “ mostly rabbits and if he was lucky a deer” according to my grandmother (now in her mid 90’s).

There is a site here in Canada with a lot of (50-60’s ????) manufactured German guns: https://intersurplus.com/collections/side-by-side

Curious if these were intended for the same role? Anyone have experience shooting slugs from them and able to comment on regulation?
Any suggestions from the above?

Considering a “ poor man’s double” or ball and shot gun build on one, no trimming the barrels just adding sights. I recently moved somewhere with a shotgun season and think this would be a classy choice for deer hunting.

Guessing they were loaded with brennekes? Was buckshot used in Germany at the time? We have a couple of brands of very effective attached wad “thug slugs” similar to brennekes produced domestically. Hoping I might get lucky on regulation

Thanks

Contact Us NitroExpress.com