NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/07/21 03:22 PM
Re: simson suhl

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks same as the one I took the barrels for my merkel DR project.
I think they are the same guns and they were sold from separate stores.
Merkel did a lot of guns to other makers not only simson, some sauer post WW-II guns are merkels as well.

Interesting that comment re a Simson Suhl may be a Merkel?

Post-WW2, in GDR times, the communist had amalgamated all the Suhl factories into the “Ernst-Thaelmann-Werke , ETW”(named after a commie “martyr”). To streamline production they greatly reduced designs o jus one type each for side by sides and drillings, retaining some more for over-unders. All s-s guns were made at the former Simson factory, all o-us at the former Gebrueder Merkel factory and drillings by the “Fortuna”, former Sauer & Sohn factory. So s-ss were usually marked “Simson”, o-us “Merkel”. But the GDR export organization had put any name a local market desired on the guns they sold abroad. As mebers of the Simson family, the former owners, were still alive and owned the trademark, the ETW could not sell “Simson” guns in some countries. So they simply marked s-ss “Merkel” to make them legal. It’s little wonder that a post-war Simson looks exactly like a Merkel of the same vintage: both were made by the same men on the same machines at the same factory and differ in branding only.

Thanks Kuduae.

I have looked at my side by side Simson Suhl in the past and yes it looks exactly like many side by side Merkels. Simple shotguns with colour case actions etc. Mine cost me A$400 in 1983.

Perhaps you will know. I believe there were different sizes of Merkel side by side? Some claimed the Merkel rifles were made on the same actions as the shotguns? But others have said the rifle actions are more sturdy? I had a good look at my Simson Suhl and it seemed to me to be of lesser dimensions etc than the Merkel rifles. Do you know and can you elaborate? Thanks a lot if you can.

If the Simson / Merkel shotgun actions are strong enough for double rifles, great news! I have a shotgun. Perhaps a set of rifle barrels for it one day. Though a second hand existing Merkel double rifle in .470, .400 or even a .500 probably would be cheaper to pay for!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com