bigboar
(.224 member)
22/05/19 01:14 AM
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun

I got a very good reply back from RMC. I mean informative. The 8ga shells are $124 per 10 for the 3 1/2 length and delivery is estimated at 3 month out. The brass stock is different for the 8ga than 12. They are currently out of that brass. Before I commit to a 3 month wait, I want to do a bit more homework. I do take the recommendations given here very seriously.

I did find a source for old winchester 8ga brass. Used brass. That cost is about the same as new, lathe turned brass. Could anyone comment on the risks vs benefits of using old brass. I know it might split. Heck I have 20 year old pistol ammo that is splitting when I shoot it. What are the odds? On the other hand I have read some negative opinions on lathe turned brass vs drawn or whatever is the normal production method.

There is also mention of thick wall vs thin wall brass. I dont if I have any choice and if I did, I dont know which is better. Or the trade off. Or available components for one vs the other.

I am trying to work within my limited retirement budget. You might say champagne taste on a Budweiser budget. Actually I can afford one bottle, but; making 8 bore mistakes will really hurt the wallet.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com