cadet
(.224 member)
21/05/19 08:40 AM
Re: Help loading an 8 bore shotgun

Precision reloading for cases, unless you have a contact in a cement works; Remington cases can have the second layer "peeled" off the head using a chisel, mallet and pliers to fit a sporting chamber, although resizing can be done, and looks neater; the winchesters I've seen have the step for the industrial cases formed all in one, rather than as a second layer, and the rim was a bit too big to fit the sizing dies I had access too (wish I could solve that problem... have about 500 cheap Winnie cases I can't yet use). 21mm wad punch (or 22mm; my bore is actually 9/1, so 21mm works), card and cork floor tiles supplies all the wadding you'll ever need. I managed to get a roll crimper from France on ebay for a pretty penny, but you could glue overshot cards. Tom Armbrust wrote a book (available electronically) with some useful - and pressure tested - load data; even handier in Australia once you figure out that most Hodgdon powders are actually ADI. All other quirks re BP and plastic are as per above; I tend to use some lower pressure smokeless loads to preserve precious cases - but I don't see the point of having an 8 bore if I'm not belching 2oz or more of lead every time I press the trigger.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com