Ripp
(.577 member)
25/02/19 02:27 PM
Re: The-maximum-practical-range-of-slugs & buckshot

Quote:

BB didn't work well for me for fox with the 20 bore. That was likely due to the #4 buck shooting closer with more pellets on-target or just being more effective overall from my gun. IIRC, it shot poorly with the Imperial BB loads (paper case).

After a couple years, I bought, then switched to using my 6.5 Mag. for foxes as we only shot them for bounty ($5.0 Oxford County, $4 in Middlesex County) - the size of the hole made no difference. In the farmland of Southern Ontario where I grew up, they were just classified as vermin.

Here in BC, foxes are classified as fur bearing animals and as such, they can only be shot or trapped by a licensed trapper on crown land, or his licensed trap line.

As a kid on the farm, hunting fox was big money.. in high school there were selling for near or over $100 per pelt...hunted, trapped, chased on snowmobile, whatever to took.. while on snowmobile, used my 12 gauge shotgun with #4's .. worked just fine.. and didn't rip open the pelts much... even walking sloughs, would use 2's or 4's..seems to do just fine..had my trusty Coast to Coast Hardware store single shot 12... was amazingly effective..

Was hunting pheasants years later in SW North Dakota.. come around a corner and a coyote was trotting off out of a little water hole.. smoked him as well, again shooting number 4's out of my 12 gauge.. this time a Rem. 870 .. all those fox, bought me a new shotgun..

Was told years ago, nothing strikes the fear of an intruder more than the racking of a 12 gauge pump..pretty sure still holds true today..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com