DarylS
(.700 member)
23/02/19 09:08 AM
Re: The-maximum-practical-range-of-slugs & buckshot

Quote:

Quote:

After becoming an adult & doing a bunch of testing, I've come to rely upon 00 or SSG in 2 3/4" mag loading with 12 balls as a work, police then jail guard load. Slugs are also useful, of course in the line of duty.

Daryl, thanks for the professional experience comments on what you were equipped with.

I think the lighter shot was recommended somewhere, to avoid pass throughs in walls etc and harming other people.

On a different note, I think using BBs could be justified as being prepared for a fox wandering by, while shooting SGs or SSGs might seem a bit like being prepared to use a shotgun illegally as a self defense weapon. Not relevant in the USA but possibly very relevant if needed in court elsewhere many countries in the world.

If not waterfowl hunting, we can carry any size lead or non-toxic shot, or slugs may be carried, as shotguns are allowed for hunting deer and bear, grouse and vermin like crows, starlings, English sparrows, coyote, wolf, etc.

Non-toxic shot, whether steel (iron), bismuth or tungsten only are allowed for waterfowl.

Might be interesting to note, we had the odd inmate runner when we were carrying #4 heavy duck loads in the Rem. 870's. The Province mandated us to use trap (#7 1/2 loads only. Too many runners. After Don switched us to the #4's, we had a long time no runners, then one took off, got shot-at, hit by one pellet, did't even pen his jeans. Thus, they found out from him after he was caught by the Mounty dog man, that the pellet only stung, didn't even pen his leg. Don B. and I, the instructors then switched over to the Winch. 00 buckshot only, the staff were happy, maggots not so much lol - no more escape attempts. Of course, they found out by listening in to staff talking in the corridor - such as "hey - they're giving us buckshot now" .

From the guard towers during exercise period, the closest shot we'd get was about 77yards to the fence corners of both remand and gen. population yards, where the fences were more easily scaled.
Seems they didn't want to chance the 00 buckshot.

LOL- When buddy Keith and I were in the towers, they didn't even look at the fence.

Our 870's were all 20" riot guns, non choked, with 7-round mag. extensions, giving 8 shots with one up the spout.

Buckshot does have it's place.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com