xausa
(.400 member)
15/10/17 09:18 PM
Re: 28 gauge single

Decades ago, back in the early '70's, I made one of the few deals I have ever made in a pawn shop for a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester and a Merkel 201E O/U 12 gauge. I was shooting a lot of skeet at the time, and the lightweight little Merkel seemed like a great addition to my collection of skeet guns. However, when I took it to the range, I soon discovered that it was too light. It's lack of weight forward made follow-through difficult, so I stopped using it.

About that time I lent my Winchester 101 28 gauge to a "friend", who unbeknownst to me, was having a drinking problem. He did not return my gun immediately and I let things slide for some time, until finally I asked him for it back. To my total shock and amazement he told me that he thought the gun was a gift and that he had sold it.

Insurance paid me for the loss of the gun, but I was unable to replace it. When dove season rolled around again, I suddenly thought of the unused Merkel 12 gauge and the possibility of fitting it with 28 gauge insert tubes. Some Briley "Companion" tubes were available at a very reasonable price and I bought them. They have remained in the Merkel ever since.

The additional weight of the tubes was all it took to change the light weight 12 gauge into a really lively and well balanced 28 gauge, and the dove population suffered accordingly until the owner of my favorite dove field passed away and with him the tradition of an annual opening day hunt. I have had invitations to hunt in other fields, but I am reluctant to hunt in a field full of strangers. I have tried it a time or two, but the negatives finally outweighed the positives.

I think the 28 gauge, unlike the .410, which is really not suitable for wing shooting because of the lack of a reliable pattern, is the ultimate challenge for a shotgunner, and someone who can bag his limit with a single box of 28 gauge shells can justifiably feel a real sense of accomplishment.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com