DarylS
(.700 member)
07/10/17 04:51 AM
Re: AYA #2

RIPP- I had an AYA SXS 10 bore some years before the lead shot ban.

It had extra tightly bored tubes along with 50 points of choke in both full choked barrels and WW factory 3 1/2" developed excessive pressure, to the point it loosened the base wads, with some leaving with the shot charge. This was not good as factory ammo was my old source for hulls.

I modified the cases of factory shells as empty hulls were not available to me, to 3" by simply cutting off the crimps & pulling the components. I used a star crimp starter to form new crimps, which worked very well.

I modified the chokes by cutting off most of the end choke and using a brake cylinder hone, as well as testing loads, counted pellets in and pellets on paper.

Using 2ounces of #2's, #4, and #5's shot, I achieved average of 94% from the right barrel and 96% from the left.

Out to about 80yards, it was murderous on GREATER Canada Geese using #2's as well as #4's or 5's on ducks to about the same range - murderous.

I loaded up #8-1/2's for ground slousing crips, which were not common at all iwth the 10bore, but were with my friend's 12's. The fine shot was deadly on their heads & necks, without shot entering the bodies.

I once killed 27 snipe with one shot, ground slousing the entire flock off a pile of mud sticking up out of the lake at about 50 or 60 yards. 2oz. of # 8 1/2's is quite a lot of shot.

Brother Taylor was with me on that hunt. On another shot, I almost tipped the canoe over with the broadside shot passing poke at a couple mallards about 70yards out - I'm sure that was a miss. "Don't you EVER do that again!" was his only statement. LOL

It had "some" recoil. 54gr. AL8 and 2 ounce of shot, IIRC.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com