lancaster
(.470 member)
30/08/15 07:06 PM
Re: hold for me

got some kind of a surprice bag and it contains

a french 11mm Chassepot needle fire cartridge and a belgian 11x53R Comblain with coiled case

think this is called "Bachmann" inside priming

two 14ga paper shells 70mm long what was new for me

a No. 4 Teschner-Collath and a 16 ga pinfire shell

and four, ähmm , things

this are paper cases with a base wad made by rolled paper and my first thought was "Dreyse Schlussspiegel" cartridge but the shot wad is not made by using rolled paper. it looks like some kind of textile with a base cast by using an unknown material so definite not Dreyse. The body of Dreyse paper cartridges is much thinner than the base wad of known "Randschlusspiegel" cartridges.

you can see that the Dreyse Cartridge have a strong step in diameter when the unknown cases here have more or less the same diameter of paper case and base wad.

it looks like there is a brass pin in the primer hole what make me think it can be only an early Teschner cartridge when he was trying to change his needle fire paper cartridge into something more gastight.
something that was modified with a metal base later into the Teschner-Collath shotgun cartridge.in fact a needle fire cartridge having the needle inside of its base.

in any case rare paper shotgun cases from the early 1860s never seen before

Contact Us NitroExpress.com