NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/05/03 02:32 PM
Re: Overunders vs.Side by sides

iqbal

I grew up using a .410 side by side with twin triggers. In fact it was the first firearm I started using. Then a .22 single shot with light bird shot.

I have always used a side by side with twin triggers and they have always been field guns, even for the occasional trap or skeet shoot.

I did toy with a pump action for a while but ai shot it more and got less game, so back to the side by side.

Currently I own five shotguns, four side by sides and the pump action which wasn't consfiscated by the Aust gov't during the buyback as I have an exemption.

The side by sides are three 12 gauges, one an old cheapie with Damascus barrels with external hammers and a 2 1/2 inch chamber. The other two are a Simson Suhl and a Spanish Azhur which is one of those lovely Spanish detachable sidelock shotguns copied off a H&H model but at 1/30th the price. I actually bought the Simson and saw the Azhur a week later. Ended up fretting about it all weekend and drove straight back to town and bought it. It was broken for a while and has just been repaired so I can use it again .

I CAN NOT shoot single trigger double barrels and if using one 98% of the time end up pulling on the rear of the trigger guard.

I do not really do a lot of clay shooting but do attend a annual private shoot that combines trap, skeet and a simulated field during the day plus a dinner in the evening. For quite a few years mine was the only side by side but now there are several. Good .

I find an under and over better for trap but amazingly I usually shoot well on trap with my field s-s. In simulated the running bunny clays also never get away.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com