jgttechjunkie
(.275 member)
26/09/04 10:33 AM
Re: Semi-Autos vs.Double bbls.

I used to do all of my hunting with SxSs, recently bought a pump for 3 1/2 inch steel shot, and am planning to get an autoloader.

From what I can see the main disadvantage of the autoloader (as well as the pump) is that it sprays empty plastic shells over the landscape. In a field shoot they are easy to pick up, but standing in the reeds in a slough it is more difficult.

I know a lot of people don't pick up their empties, but I just think that is littering.

The autoloader (or pump) makes much more sense in a blind - easier to load while barrel is pointed straight up.

We in North America are restricted to three shots for waterfowl - have to use a plug - so the question of five shots doesn't come up. With the steel shot we now are forced to use that third shot can drop a wounded goose and comes in handy. Usually though if you have not connected on the first two shots the geese will be long gone and it is senseless to try a third shot.

This morning a hunting partner on a goose hunt, using an auto, told me that he went hunting with some people using SxSs and OUs who were able to reload and shoot four shots quicker than he was able to shoot his three and then reload to shoot a fourth.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com