deant
(.224 member)
19/02/04 05:49 AM
Re: Following Urdubob

Rob
My inlaws are from the San Deigo area. But I am planning on if i go I will take a few days and head north to get away! If you know what I mean. Can you hog hunt in May-june? A bigbore hog hunt?
Urdubob
I hunted Zim in Sept 03. I got my buffalo after 4 days. I hunted with my PH from SA we both hunted with Peter Baker he was hunting out of Russ Broome Safaris. Peter loves to hunt elephant! I was hoping to have time for a PAC elephant. Not only did I get to hunt elephant Peter spent 3 days tracking and showing me some very nice bulls. We were looking for 3 younger bulls that had hurt some people at the local clinic. But they had moved on. We then started looking for a group of elephant that had a very old bull a very old cow and a young one with a bad leg. The two older animals were becoming quite aggresive. It was agreed on that when we found the group i would take the first to offer a shot. We cut the trail one evening and decided to come back in the morning. It was easy to tell it was the right group by the one dragging its leg.
the next morning we took up the track and after 3 or 4 hours we located the group. Its amazing how one minute you see nothing then 30 animals start to appear right in front of you. We glassed them from about 100yrds. The first we saw was the old bull. He was huge with both tusks broke off. We worked in for a shot but they started to feed in our direction and we had to move out down wind very fast! When they stopped the bull was now in the center of the group. After a bit we located the old cow and the far end. We worked up into about 30 to 40 yards. I hit her just up and behind the leg I was surprised to see he stumble and buckle at the hit. I got a little worked up and short stroked the gun but she went about 40 yrds so another shot was not needed.
I hate to say it but I was using the no good 458 win mag hand loaded 450gr barnes at 2150+fps.
I will say if I was told I could only do one more hunt in my life I would choose elephant in a second.
Dean

Contact Us NitroExpress.com