Mike_McGuire
(.333 member)
19/12/07 12:13 AM
Re: Is the Remington 700 safari KS SS a good Rifle?

Over the years I have owned a lot of 375 H&Hs. In Rem 700 I have had two of the light barrel classics, the heavy barrel rifles that looked like Rem 700 Varmint BDLs but with open sights and also the later Safari style both in 375 and a 416 rem when they were first introduced.

Also had Push Feed M70s of 1970s and 1980s vintage and also the later CRF models in both blue/wood and stainless.

In the different areas this is how I have found them.

For feeding/cycling:

1) Rem 700s
2) M70 push feed
3) The M70 CRFs. The later CRFs were not good and this was due to a magazine box change which was aimed at accomodating the 416 Rem.

For for accuracy:

1) M70 stainless CRF
2) Rem 700s....but after bedding the heavy barrel Rem 700s were better than the stainless M70s
3) M70 blue/wood CRF
4) M70 Pus Feeds

The M70 blue/wood are often eratic because of how Winchester attach the barrel recoil lug. The M70 stainless does not have a barrel recoil lug. The Rem 700 does not use a barrel lug on either wood or synthetic stocks.

I have also had a Wby Stainless Mark V when they were introduced and that was very good on all counts and with the plus of a much longer magazine than either M70 or Rem 700. But somehow Wby Mark V and 375 H&h just don't go together, all seems wrong

Overall I think the M70 stainless CRF is the best provided is does not have the setup done for the 416 Rem. It is easy to pick a rifle that is this way.

The right M70 stainless gives top accuracy, even out of the box, feeds very reliably and being an M70 and CRF it just all seems right for a 375 H&H. The only negative with the M70s is you can't get the full range of scope mounts as the whole spacing is different on the rear receiver ring. Rem 700s of course take evry mount known to man.

Note The problem M70 stainless rifles have the magazine box crimped in at the back. In other words the rear of the magazine is narrower and this is done by a crimping type of deal. It is very visible when the floor plate is opened.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com