Ripp
(.577 member)
03/12/07 08:45 AM
Re: Ruger Compact Magnums

Quote:

Daryl and RIPP, I agree, but I don't see why ambient temperature is an issue for load development for most Americans.

It is no hotter in an "African" summer than it is in the summer of most of the Lower 48 states. Hot, sure, but safe loads developed here in the heat of summer should be safe in the heat of Africa also.

Heat certainly CAN be an issue if loads are developed in the colder months and then shot when it gets hot. I've experienced pressue signs and in one rifle blown primers of a varmint load worked up in January and then shot in July. I've blown a couple of small thermometers I used to have that I hung on the Polaris Ranger that had a max temp of 125 degrees Fahrenheit. In my pine plantation while shooting rats in the summer I've had readings of 140+ degrees on the shooting deck of the UTV right next to the gun. A net is tossed over the gun while waiting for shots as otherwise it gets too hot to touch. Loads developed here in the summer are NOT going to play tricks in the heat of an African summer.

Nevertheless, I see no need for or hope for the Ruger RCM's. Last a while and limp along? Sure, but they'll mostly die lingering deaths if they aren't stillborn in the firstplace.

***9ThreeXFifty7

Agree totally, however if you remember in other discussions on this site,,, that was one of the issues brought forth as the advantages of one over the other...I also have reloaded in cooler temps with some of my hot dog loads used for varmints..but would surely NEVER go hot on any loads I plan to take on a dangerous game hunt whether that be brown bear or cape buffalo.....

As to the .375 Ruger--I have looked at the rifles they are currently offered in and have to say, not impressed..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com