allenday
(.333 member)
22/10/07 10:56 PM
Re: Kimber Caprivi

I don't think that any of the Kimber rifles, including the Caprivi, are equipped with a true machined, spring-steel extractor - rather some sort of MIM unit which is not of spring-steel construction. For 100% true Mauser-type dependability, this is not a sensible compromise....

Also, Kimber needs to design these rifles with some sort of latch that will keep the bolt-sleeve/striker assembly locked into position. As it stands, this assembly is held in place by a ball-bearing detent, which means that it can become inadvertently knocked out of alignment, causing jams, etc.

Dakota designed its original Model 76 with this same sort of ball-bearing detent system. Years later, realizing the error of its ways, Dakota wisely added a proper bolt-sleeve latch that holds everything in place very well. Kimber needs to make the same modifications.

Proper "dangerous game" rifles need to be built from the inside out, pure and simple. Cosmetics, imagery, and extraneous features are the not the foundation upon which to build a rifle that you can trust your hunting investment - not to mention your life, heath, and general well-being.

I do not think that Kimber can say that it has built the Caprivi properly until it has revised the design features that I mentioned.

Fundamentally, the Kimber action is built around production shortcuts, no matter what else is added to it.

I'm still going to stick with Mauser 98s and Model 70s.........

AD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com