mstarling
(.224 member)
10/02/04 02:31 AM
Re: Big bore damage on game animals

I don't have a lot of experience here, but this last year I've taken two white tails and a hog with doubles.

The first white tail was taken with a .470 NE Searcy loaded with cast 500 gr GC FP bullets propelled at 1500 fps. Nice 45/70 class round. Range was 55 yards. Terminal ballistics resulted in a wound that was actually a bit cleaner than I would have expected with a 150 grain bullet from a .308 Win. IN other words, not bad.

The second deer was taken with a 270 Speer from a 9.3x74R Chapuis at 60 yards. Not much meat damage and a good immediate kill.

The hog was taken with the Chapuis as well. The bullet failed in that when it hit the main bone in the left front upper leg, it deflected and went cross body. However, the mess aside ... the meat damage was minimal and the hog expired within 20 yards.

On the same trip, a buddy hit one in the front shoulder with a 7mm Rem Mag. It destroyed both front shoulders ... front end of the pig was a mess!

So far, I've been very favorably impressed with doubles on light game. Going to switch to Woodleighs and Noslers with the Chapuis (yes, Chapuis says the use of partitions is fine!)

mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com