Ripp
(.577 member)
16/09/07 03:41 AM
Re: Which caliber

Quote:

I don’t have rifles in any of the calibers mentioned, a .30-338 Win Mag is my largest, that said I have great personal interest in the DG calibers.

That said, I’ve been fanaticizing on either a .416-375 Ruger or a .423-375 Ruger wildcat cartridge as my big bore load with either a .300-375 Ruger or a .338-375 Ruger wildcat cartridge as my medium bore load as the .375 Ruger case is somewhat readily available (though mostly sold out) while the Newton cases are almost impossible to find.

**You may wish to read the article I mentioned the other day that is the current issue of SCI magazine--they did neck up the .375 Ruger and were pleasantly surprised with the results--

IMHO--your 30-378 loaded with 200 grain bullets would probably do anything you need it to do for a medium gun if you had the .416 for your big bore--personally I have used a HS Precision on 300 Ultra-mag to take many plains game in Africa in addition to elk, deer and bear in Montana--Have never felt I needed more--

Boddington has stated in some of the article I have read that he felt the perfect 3 gun combo is a .338 along with a .416 or 458 depending on your tolerance for recoil.. I would certainly tend to agree ...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com