DarylS
(.700 member)
03/08/07 04:24 AM
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads

: 9.3's note: - "My .02¢ spin is that a good 500 grain cast bullet that could be shot for dirt cheap and provide identical sighting as the FMJ would be a very nice bullet for the guy that really wants to shoot his heavy alot and use it on some game. {IIRC, I think that was Jack Lott's reasoning for his buddy's setup in Thailand}. Can the 720 provide enough added performance to make sighting changes worthwhile?? KDM's investigation is very interesting to me and I suspect to many other readers also!"
;
: John Buhmiller used a double .450 BPE for 'toughening up" his shoulder, prior to his African hunts. John was in his 70's or 80's before making it to Africa the first time. In the double .450 BPE, he loaded 500gr. bullets, with 100gr. 3F and put a wooden block between the triggers so both barrels would go off at almost the same instance. This was his 'practise' shooting for getting used to recoil, so he wouldn't have to shoot expensive ammo in his .450 and .500 magnums, both built on the .378 WTB case. This was pre-.460 Weatherby era, and his data and case design was used by Roy for the .460W.
:
: The real beauty of the large bores is that cast bullets can indeed be loaded to the same ballistics as their jacketed counterparts and they do allow much practise for merely the cost of primers and powder. Straight WW metal can be harded to withstand even 3,000fps if one is inclined to go that far wiht cast bullets.
;
: I am inclinded to think while the flat nose of the 720 will create some small amount of cavitation around the bullet hole, there may be less than with a 500 or 600gr.'ers higher velocity. I am, of course, referring to a flatnosed 500 or 600gr. cast bullet, not a 500 FMJ RN which might not produce more cavitation than the 720gr.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com