DarylS
(.700 member)
03/08/07 12:17 AM
Re: 720 Grain .458 Win Mag Loads

I see nothing wrong with the method or manner of KDM's original post. As he noted, "this is not loading data' and goes on later to note his pressure findings. His use of primer appearance to denote pressure is a common one used amongst handloaders. Also, extraction and case life would round out the methods. We all use these, along with case head and case web expansion over a 'standard'. The problem with 'standards' is that factory ammo in .458 is loaded to reduced presssure levels, hense the poor velocity showings of todays factory stuff.
: The .458 has plenty space to develop 'original' factory specs. One need only look through some of the manuals to see this. I cannot condone those who hear, or read something negative about a round, then jump on that band wagon and continue to proclaim what they 'heard' as if it was gospel. Even Hornady's recent 'new' loading book lists loads with soft and solid 500gr. up to 2,200fps. Folks, that's 150fps higher than the 'accepted' .470Nitro does with the same bullet weight. Why the .470 is OK and the 2.5" .458 is not powerful enough, is beyond me. Barnes #3 also lists loads for 500gr. 'hard' bullets to over 2,150fps. I think many of the detractors of the .458 have never owned one, nor chrono'd one, nor developed good ammo for one.
: As I noted, I'm certain KDM will get the accuracy sorted out with better sighting arrangements. In the big bores, the heavier the bullet, the lower the velocity, the higher the point of impact.
: I've been shooting cast bullets for 35 years, in many different calibres, rifles, handguns and from shotguns as well. I've shot deer, bear and moose with them and can attest to their wonderful penetrative and killing powers.
: Bigger/heavier has always been better.
: Overall cartidge length numbers are pretty much imaterial to someone who is an ackomplished handloader. That length is good only for one rifle, anyway, the one that load was developed in. Rifles have different throat lengths and even throat angles, different leade lengths, and some have a freebore condition, allowing even longer overall lengths and therefore all require different load data to develop identical pressure. Mine were all cut with my own reamers - someones else's data is merely data I can reduce a safe amount, to develop my own data from. Published data is a starting point only for the devlopment of one's own data.
; Damn, that's a nice looking bullet, KDM.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com