9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/07/07 11:10 AM
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns?

Quote:

9ThreeXFifty7,

I am very curious about this test that you mention.

Mehulkamdar:

I wish I could tell you but I have no idea what the technical specs were of the device I saw. The arrangement was a simple rack that held a line of scopes. Into the objective lense was shined a small flashlight beam. At the eyepiece was a handheld device of some sort that had as I remember an analog dial that registered the light that was transmitted thru the scope.

NitroX: We sold many hundreds of scopes during my couple years running a retail outfit in the early '90's. ALL makes broke. Zeiss, Leupold, Burris, Swarovski. We sold far more Burris than any other make and we got back fewer Burris than any other make. That told me something. Burris scopes were tough scopes. And yes, we stuck them on .338's, .340's, many .300's. I am NOT saying that the other makes were bad scopes. Far from it. They are excellent scopes. But ALL break and ALL malfunction from time to time. As stated above, I would not buy a current-production Burris scope for a variety of reasons, but they used to be great scopes in my opinion. So are the others. I can't say that I believe the Zeiss and Swarovski scopes are better than the Leupold, and for that reason alone I would not spend the extra money on a Zeiss or Swarovski unless I just wanted one. They are great scopes, but I simply do not buy {literally...} the notion that they are worth the extra money they cost over the Leupold.

Re: Military use. We sold many Burris scopes to various Army and Air Force units mobilised for the first desert war in '91. Most of them went to an Engineer units who wanted them {so they said} for munitions destruction. Some went to individuals who were savvy enough to know that a scope is world's ahead of iron sights for almost any purpose under the sun except steady rain/sleet/snow, conditions they weren't too concerned about over there. At the time we sold a STANAG mount and a couple aftermarket mounts for the carrying handle on the M16 since the A4 model didn't yet exist. I never heard a single complaint about those scopes {mostly Signature series, matte black 1.5x6}. I've always wondered where they all went and where they all are now.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com