xausa
(.400 member)
13/07/07 07:55 AM
Re: Who makes the best scope for Danderous game guns?

I find myself asking why someone would want to hunt dangerous game under low light conditions.

One of the things that used to puzzle me about German rifles I would see in the used gun racks was that some of the heaviest caliber rifles (.375 H&H, 9.3X64) carried scopes which looked like they belonged on varmint rifles. Then I learned that they were used for shooting wild boar from stands over potato fields in the moonlight. The rifles looked like full rigged ships with all the sails set. Certainly nothing you would want to carry hunting dangerous game on the ground.

It turns out that the German hunters use other scopes, usually low powered variables, for shooting driven game such as wild boar. Even so, German scopes tend to be very heavy, have large oculars and short eye relief.

My Krieghoff Teck double rifle has had a Lyman All American 2.5X scope on the .458 barrels and a Lyman All American 3X scope on the .375 H&H barrels for over 30 years now. However, my new Kreighoff Ulm 9.3X74R will have a Leupold 1.5-5X VariX III 30mm scope with illuminated reticle, as will my Krieghoff Teck .500 NE. I look forward to trying them out in the not too distant future. My Krieghoff Neptun drilling has a Leupold 1.5-5X VariX III in the 1" version, without the illumination, for its 8X65R rifle barrel.

My .577 C&W Winchester Model 70, on the other hand, is fitted with a Noske Field Scope Number 1, Type A, 2.5X with a 6" eye relief. Made in the '30's, the scope is holding up under significant recoil with evident ease. The cartridge is a shortened rimless version of the .577 NE, with identical ballistic performance. The rifle weighs about 13 pounds.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com