allenday
(.333 member)
01/07/07 01:49 AM
Re: 416 Remington is it a good chocie for Africa?

If you look at the SAAMI-specs on the 416 Rem. Mag. versus any number of other cartridges that are commonly used in Africa, the pressures are about the same, nearly identical, including those of the 375 H&H and 300 H&H, not to mention others like the 338 Win. Mag., 7mm Rem. Mag., 300 Wby, etc.

Most of the pressure alarums that you hear about concerning the 416 Rem. Mag. involved certain lots of Remington factory ammo that were indeed loaded too hot. But that's not all there is to that particular story. Remington also loaded certain lots of 375 H&H ammo (a cartridge, according to urban myth, that supposed to be completely "pressure-friendly") that were entirely too hot as well. I know, because I bought a lot of Remington 375 H&H ammo that was produced in that same timeframe, and it gave sticking cases, as well as ejector marks in my rifle, and I have NEVER, before or since, with ANY other lot of ammo, experienced sticking cases with that rifle.

I haven't found 416 Rem. Mag. pressures to be too much, or anything out of the ordinary for African hunting, either. I've used my 416 Rem. Mag. for hunting in temperatures that were over 100 degrees F in the Selous, and with never the slightest hint of a pressure problem. All of this pressure controversey about the 416 Rem. Mag. is totally about specific ammunition, NOT about the cartridge in and of itself. I've found that if you properly load or have expertly loaded ammuntion put up for a specific 416 Rem. Mag. rifle, there will be no pressure problems, and you'll still be able to enjoy full performance from that cartridge.

I load 370 gr. North Fork solids and softs to right at 2500 fps. in my rifle, and it's an incredibly good killer in all respects, plus superbly accurate as well.........

AD

Contact Us NitroExpress.com