JohnTheGreek
(.300 member)
30/06/07 05:10 PM
Re: 416 Remington is it a good chocie for Africa?

I agree with AZguy that the .416 Rem is a great choice! As an aside, I believe the pressure issue is VERY overstated as the .416 Rem operates at pressure not all that dissimilar to many cartridges regularly used in Africa and many other hot climates. For example, when was the last time you heard about people having trouble with their .270, .300, or 338 Win. in African or Texas heat? For that matter, shoot a 300 grain bullet from a .375 H&H case at published velocities and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts pressure is pretty much on par with the .416 Rem. If you are still really concerned about it, you can always load the .416 Rem to a traditional .404 Jeffery velocity and you have its ballistic twin with similar recoil. While you make a certain abstract sacrifice by not using the "classic" .404, you gain the very tangible ability to employ .375 brass in a pinch should .416 Rem brass become scarce or should an airline lose your ammo.

As for loaded ammunition, I order up regular batches from the folks at HSM (www.thehuntingshack.com) who produce good practice loads for under $40.00 per box of 20. They will also do a custom load for you upon request. Try getting that service from Federal or Winchester! Maybe I don't shoot enough, but after paying for brass, bullets, reloading gear, primers etc, I have always figured my time is worth more than the few bucks I would save reloading when compared to HSM prices.

Hope this helps,

John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com