dnovo
(.333 member)
09/05/07 10:44 PM
Re: 400H&H and 465H&H any rifles available yet?

My reaction to the 'new' H&H cartridges is, so what? I see no need, nor any advantage, to either cartridge. They do nothing that cannot be achieved in several existing magazine rifle cartridges other than cost significantly more to buy (the rifle, that is) and feed (the ammo.) I suspect for those 'sportsmen' who must have something 'unique' with the H&H label on it, which therefore makes it 'better' for a rifle more to be admired than used.

Or, perhaps simply announced by H&H to get 'the ink' and to show that, after a period of activity begining a hundred years ago, with the development of the 500-450NE, then the 500-465NE, the first belted magnum (the 400/375, which I have in a MS-actioned H&H built 1907 take-down and load and shoot) they developed the justly-famous 375 H&H and the 'family' that grew from it, the 300 H&H, the 275 and 240, etc. Since it has been a long time since H&H was active in the field of new cartridges, these 'new' rounds may have been announced to prove that the company still had 'creative juices' flowing.

Westley Richards did the same about five or six years ago, announcing a 700/577 and a 700/500. Both are still listed a 'available for special order' but have rarely, if ever, been sighted 'in the flesh.' Impressive to read about, however. Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com