DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
17/01/04 06:55 AM
Re: Control round feed or not?

In reply to:

DUGABOY1
Man that is just about the best “how to” I have found yet. Thanks! Since I’m picking you brain, any recommendation on action builders. (CZ Win…) What length of barrel would give optimal performance? I’m a big guy 6’3” but I personally prefer to shut a short “quick” rifle. My 7mm-08 has only a 17.5 inch barrel and its dead ringer out to about 150 yards. Would 20 to 22 inches be about right? And lastly I am a big fan of the thumb hole stock, is this a no no in BG Riffles? To date I have had not problems with the one I have. Your thoughts please.

First, the choice of a thumb hole stock is a personal one, and not to my likeing on a DGR, but as I say that's a personal thing. I have a Harry Lawson T/H stocked 243 win that I like very much, and I have seen several large bore rifles in the field with those stocks as well, so what ever floats your bass boat!

I think you can get along with a 22" barrel, but I would go 24". I certainly wouldn't go less that 22".

Your question in the other post about bolt mods, is correct, but is not a big job. The standard Mauser is made for the 30-06 rim size, as that is the size of the 8x57 MM,(.473"), but the 9.3X64 has a rim diameter of .492", .019" larger. However the Magnum bolt face is too large, at .532" the mod on the standard bolt face is a "no brainer" for a gunsmith. The biggist problem you will incounter is, the fact that the 9.3x64 is a rebated rim cartridge,meaning the head is larger(.504) than the rim, and the feeding will have to be tweeked a bit, so it will feed properly.

All in all, the project is not without some work, but worth the effort, IMO, if done properly,but that is also a personal opinion!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com