wellplugger
(.224 member)
21/12/06 08:12 AM
Re: .375 Ruger V .376 Steyr V .375H&H

I agree with the above post saying that this is a marketing tool from Ruger, but I don't seem to mind so much. Being left handed kind of limits the number of choices you have in "interesting" rifles. My definition of interesting is something other than the standard 30/06, 270, 7 Mag/300 Mag and 243 that are generally offered by the majors in left hand. You lefties out there know how hard it is to come by a left hand, true magnum length Mod 70 or M98 suitable for the big bore, DG calibers. I know I can have anything I want if I have a big pocket book, but that is not the case. At least until Ed McMahon shows up at the door with my million dollar check or I win the lottery.

Please be advised that I am not throwing rocks at the old standby's listed above. They are all outstanding calibers with thousands in use world wide. I have a few myself. So, please don't take offense of my calling them "un-interesting".

So having said all that, the introduction of the 375 Ruger offers me a chance to take that relatively low priced and available 7mm Mag Mod 70 and convert it to an "interesting" caliber. Or better yet, maybe the majors will adopt this "newbie" and start offering it in left hand.

Additionally, as a reloader, I can take the soon to be easy to come by brass and experiment a little. Let's say we neck the brass up to 416 or 458 or down to 35. I'm sure this is being done as we speak. Who knows what might come out of it.

I am confident that the 375 H&H will never disappear. I don't plan on selling mine any time soon and would probably buy another if the price was right.

Anyway, that is my two cents and Merry Christmas to all and have a safe, happy New Year.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com