nopride2
(.300 member)
03/01/04 04:42 PM
Re: Why big bores?

I grew up reading Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith. I sided with Jack. Used a .270. Accurate with any bullet or load. Killed everything I shot by picking my shots. Over the years I passed on several elk, because the shot angle was wrong for a .270, Texas heart shots and the like. I also realized I was carrying a 300 yard rifle, and all my game was taken within 100 yards. After 50 years I now say "Elmer is/was right" The big bullet starts out pre-expanded. It will penetrate most soft skin game full length. It plows through heavy bones. It usually leaves two large holes in a animal, with a better blood trail. Case in point; I shot an elk running through pecker poles at about 25 yards. I never saw the 4 inch diameter tree he was passing behind. Shot dead center through the tree and through the elk. The bullet, .45 cal. 350 gr. at 2000 fps. No small bore rifle would have made that shot. Did I throw my .270 away? No, it's my first big game rifle, a pre '64 M70 I bought new for just over a hundred bucks. I still use it, I'm just more aware of its limitations.

Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com